Authentication and TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificates

Posted by: Michael Atkinson
Category: Document Authentication and Legalization
Studying TEFL Exam

Are you seeking to go overseas to teach English as a second language?  It can be a fun and rewarding experience but there is lots of work that needs to be done before leaving Canada. One typically has to have their TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificates authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and then legalized by a particular diplomatic mission for the country that you intent to work.  Due to some recent changes in the requirements the authentication section of Global Affairs Canada will no longer recognize all teaching certificates.

Does your TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificates qualify for authentication:

The authentication section of Global Affairs Canada has changed it requirements as it pertains to certain teaching documents.  As a result, not all teaching documents can be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada.  It is now required that all TESOL, TESL or TEFL teaching certificates must be issued by an educational institution that is a member of either TESL Canada, TESL Ontario Languages Canada.  If there are any questions, Global Affairs Canada has a list of the acceptable member organizations.  Given that the requirements for authentication can change without notice, one should always review the Global Affairs Canada website as it relates to the authentication of Canadian Documents.

The Canadian Document Authentication process:

In order for Canadian documents to be used abroad, they must first be authenticated.  Simply, this is the process whereby an approved stamp is affixed to a document certifying that it is a legitimate Canadian document for use in a foreign country.  The majority of Canadian documents are authenticated by Global Affairs Canada.  This is the Federal government body whose authentication stamp is accepted in most foreign countries.  In some cases, one might need to have their Canadian teaching certificate authenticated by a Provincial Authority such as the Official Documents Section of the Ontario Ministry of Government Services.

Can one use original or notarized TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificates?

Our office is often asked if one can use the original teaching certificate or if a notarized copy is required.  Original documents issued by an accredited Canadian College or University can be authenticated.  If the teaching certificate was issued by a private educational institution then the document must be notarized.  In our view, if one can use a notarized copy abroad then that should be considered.  By using a notarized copy one can retain the original document unmarked for display on a wall or future use.   The cost of notarization is relatively small so it is an attractive option if it is available.

How can we help with the authentication of your TESL, TEFL or TESOL teaching certificates?

Our office regularly attends to the authentication and legalization of various teaching certificates.  We also have the capacity to arrange for the notarization of documents when necessary.  Reach out to our office and we will happily discuss your unique situation while offering a cost effective solution. Feel free to reach out to one of our authentication processionals today.  We can be reached by telephone at: 613-236-9975, e-mail at:  or visit us online at: