Capital Authentication: Your Trusted Partner > Commonly Requested Documents > Certificate of Residency Authentication and Legalization

Canadian Certificate of Residency Authentication and Legalization

Our office routinely assists with the authentication and legalization of the Canadian Certificate of Residency document. The Certificate of Residency is a document that is prepared by the Canada Revenue Agency. This is a document that can be used either by an individual or corporation. The Certificate of Residency confirms that one is a resident of Canada for tax purposes.

In order to use the Certificate of Residency in a foreign country the document will need to be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada then legalized by the Embassy or Consulate of the destination country. Reach out to us today and we will guide you through the authentication and legalization process. We will discuss timeline as well as provide information on costing.

Excellent service. Prompt, quick and answered my queries with full detail. Also the best price around! I highly recommend using their services.
– Robyn

Common Certificate of Residency Questions

Before a Canadian Certificate of Residency can be authenticated by Global affairs, it must be notarized by a Canadian notary.

In order to obtain a Certificate of Residency one has to correspond with the Canada Revenue Agency.

For Individuals one must provide:

  • Full name
  • address
  • social insurance number
  • the name of the foreign country or countries for which the certificate of residency is requested
  • tax year(s) for which the certificate of residency is requested

For corporations one must provide:

  • Name of corporation or organization
  • Mailing address
  • Business number
  • the name of the foreign country or countries for which the certificate of residency is requested
  • tax year(s) for which the certificate of residency is requested

for more information, please consult the Canada Revenue Agency website at:

Our office has access to certified Canadian translators that are capable of assisting with the translation of your documents, including a Certificate of Residency. The speed at which a document can be translated or the cost of translation can vary depending upon a few factors such as the length of the document and complexity. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your needs while offering cost effective solutions.

The speed at which a document can be authenticated and legalized can vary depending upon the particular diplomatic mission. Reach out to our office and we will happily discuss your requirements and offer you processing options depending upon your overall timeline.

Our office will always provide a clear and accurate quote that is totally itemized and geared towards your individual requirements.

To make it easier to understand, we have grouped the authentication and legalization fees. Our office offers four different processing options depending upon urgency. More importantly, we employ a system that we refer to as The Completion Time Method. When suggesting prices, we balance the total time expected to take to have the document(s) authenticated by Global Affairs and then legalized by a particular Embassy or Consular Office. Employing our method translates into lower fees for our customers.

When considering using a third party service provider to assist with the authentication and legalization process one might contemplate using either an authentication and legalization service and/or process server.  Various service providers can be found by doing simple internet searches.  But, are they different?   Generally speaking, the various third party service providers are not very different.  The main differences come down to knowledge about the overall process, requirements of a particular diplomatic mission and the fees that are charged by the third party service provider.  It is very important that one complete a minimum level of due diligence when choosing a third party service provider as one will find that the fees charged can vary widely.

Our office offers a number of different payment options such as money order, e-transfer, direct payment into our account, credit card (visa or mastercard).  If you have any questions about payment methods, please feel free to reach out to our office either by e-mail or telephone as we will happily discuss payment options.

We suggest using a national courier such as FedEx, Purolator, DHL or Canada Post “Xpresspost”.  Each of these courier options offers a form of tracking and considering that the documents are sensitive in nature the ability to track your item is strongly recommended.

Once the authentication and legalization services have been completed, our clients can provide a prepaid return courier to our office.  If however it is more convenient, our office will happily arrange for the return courier either to our client directly or to an authorized third party of their choosing.

At Capital Authentication we do not like to return documents to a client using regular lettermail.  Regular lettermail is not encouraged given the sensitive nature of the documents.  However, where a client has specifically requests this method of return, we will comply.

This is a very good question and it really depends upon where one intends to use the document.  As long as the document is a Canadian document, Global Affairs Canada will authenticate either an original document or a notarized copy of the document.  If using a notarized document, the notary must be a Canadian notary.   The more important question to ask is whether the diplomatic mission in question will accept notarized documents instead of original documents.  It is always best to consult the diplomatic mission to determine if original documents and/or notarized documents can be used.  There are some diplomatic missions that will only accept original documents.

Should a problem arise with the processing of your documents due to a change in policy or requirements by Global Affairs Canada or at a particular diplomatic mission our office will be in contact with our clients immediately, by e-mail and/or telephone, so as to identify the problem and determine the best possible solution.

There are many instances when it is more convenient for a client to have documents sent directly to our office as opposed to their receiving them first.  For example, government issued documents such as birth certificates can be sent directly to us.  We can receive them and start compiling a client dossier with the authentication and legalization component to commence once we have all of the documents.

Get Started

If you have questions or want to receive a custom quote for document authentication and legalization or other services, use our contact form below to get started.

  • To be able to serve you best, please be as descriptive as possible. We take great care to ensure we provide you accurate information as quickly as possible.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.